MEMPHIS ACADEMY OF SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING
JOB DESCRIPTION – EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
Memphis Academy of Science and Engineering (MASE) is in search of an Executive Director. This strategic leadership position reports to the Board of Directors
ABOUT MEMPHIS ACADEMY OF SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING
Memphis Academy of Science and Engineering (MASE) is a free, public, open enrollment charter school serving students in grades 6-12 with a Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) curriculum focus. MASE’s mission is to provide underserved youth with the academic skills and technical training needed to thrive in a competitive work environment and attend the best colleges in the country.
MASE, located in downtown Memphis, is Tennessee's first approved charter school and the only Title I STEM charter school in Memphis. Approximately ninety percent of students are Title I eligible and ninety five percent are African American. Eighty seven percent of MASE’s seniors graduate high school and one hundred percent of graduates are accepted into a two-year or four-year college. The school opened in 2003 and its charter was recently renewed through 2023.
The Executive Director is a dynamic and accomplished data-driven educator who provides overall leadership and direction for MASE and executes the organization’s mission and vision. S/he will create a comprehensive plan focused on the continued transformation of MASE into a high-performing STEM charter organization that delivers significant student achievement gains for every child.
- Recruits and develops highly qualified staff, and ensures professional development opportunities are provided to them.
- Ensures that financial and human resources are allocated appropriately to achieve the organizations goals.
- Builds and supports systems for data-driven decision making to ensure individual and shared goals are achieved.
- Sustains a positive school culture and rigorous instructional program defined by high-expectations.
Strategic and Organizational Planning
- Provides overall leadership and direction for MASE and executes the organization’s mission and vision.
- Ensures the school has a viable long-term strategic plan and annual goals are aligned with the strategic plan.
- Ensures processes are in place to assess organizational performance and support ongoing school improvement.
- Creates financial and operational systems, human capital systems and instructional programs that are scalable and sustainable.
- Ensures compliance with all policies, procedures, laws and government requirements.
- Develops strong and trusting relationships with stakeholders including Shelby County Unified Schools, community partners, funders and others, and leverages those relationships to support the execution of our strategic plan.
- Actively recruits a diverse donor base of individuals, businesses, foundations and government segments.
- Ensures robust parent and community engagement to supports student success.
- Works collaboratively with the Board as stewards of the charter.
- Partners with the Board to identify and cultivate diverse Board members who bring valuable relationships and resources to the school.
- Reports to the Board regularly on progress against academic and operational goals and communicates support needed to achieve the organization’s mission and goals.
- 8+ years of progressive management and leadership experience, including school leadership experience in underserved communities; turnaround experience preferred.
- Demonstrated track record of advancing student achievement.
- A Bachelor's degree, with a preference for a Master’s degree in Education, Education Administration or a related field.
- Demonstrated success effectively managing school finance and operations.
- Experience working with a Board of Directors.
- Demonstrated success fundraising for a mission-driven and results-oriented nonprofit organization.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and data-driven environment.
- Strong commitment to MASE’s mission and vision.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, with the proven ability to represent an organization publicly and passionately to a variety of stakeholders.
- Confidence to Lead: Demonstrates self-confidence and is visibly focused and committed to meeting organizational goals and challenges.
- Stakeholder Management: Develops strong, trusting, respectful relationships.
- Impact & Influence: Demonstrates the ability to make a compelling and persuasive case. Has experience motivating others to action and building coalitions to achieve goals.
- Drive for Results: Sets challenging goals, takes initiative and follows through to get results. Has a consistent history of personal success and achieving excellence.
- Problem Solving: Approaches goals and challenges using data to inform decisions. Develops clear logical plans that people can follow and ensures a strong connection between goals and activities.
- Communication: Speaks and writes effectively. Inspires through communication.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
A competitive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with qualifications and experience will be provided to the successful candidate.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an exemplary educator and leader. Qualified candidates are invited to apply. Please submit a cover letter and resume.